After months of denial, Pakistan has finally admitted that last November’s terrorist attack on Mumbai was planned and launched from its territory. Pakistan’s interior ministy chief said six people, including the mastermind of the attack, Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi, were in its custody. India’s foreign minister termed Pakistan’s response as a positive development.
Pakistan’s half a confession: Holbrooke’s first success?
C Raja Mohan in The Indian Express:
Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, the mastermind behind the attacks on Mumbai. Reuters
Even the most sceptical of Indian analysts will have to concede that Pakistan has taken an important step forward Thursday in acknowledging that at least part of the planning for the Mumbai outrage took place in Pakistan. Islamabad’s half a confession on Thursday is an important gain for the UPA Government which had chosen the diplomatic route to pressurise Pakistan rather than a military confrontation that many hotheads in New Delhi wanted after the Mumbai aggression. More:
Time for India to think of carrots too, not just sticks
In The Hindu, Siddharth Varadarajan says now India must shed its distrust of Pakistan
After expecting the worst, New Delhi today finds itself having to fashion a response to a Pakistani investigative effort that the entire world is likely to judge as serious and effective. So far, the Indian side had been thinking only in terms of the coercive diplomatic steps it could take in response to Islamabad’s lack of cooperation. Now that Pakistan has demonstrated more than a modest measure of cooperation, India will have to also evaluate the carrots, if any, it is prepared to offer to ensure the progress that has been made continues, and the planners of Mumbai are brought to book. More:
“Thaw at last”
That’s the headline of the report in Dawn, Karachi: Tension between Islamabad and New Delhi started to dissipate on Thursday and a thaw set in when Pakistan’s Interior Adviser Rehman Malik conceded that last November’s terror attacks in Mumbai were partially planned in Pakistan, and announced the arrest of a number of accused and his government’s intent to prosecute them. Rehman Malik’s unprecedented announcement at a televised news conference was greeted by an immediate change in tone and tenor of key Indian decision makers. Both External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Interior Minister P. Chidambaram described as positive Islamabad’s response to the Delhi-prepared investigation dossier on the terror attacks blamed on Pakistan-based militants. More:
How US leaned heavily on Pakistan
From The Indian Express: This and the fact that the admission comes a day after US President Barack Obama spoke to Pak President Asif Ali Zardari and when US envoy Richard Holbrooke was visiting the country, clearly reflects the pressure being brought on Islamabad. Incidentally, the FBI was on the verge of moving in with visas ready when Pakistan decided to set up an investigation team. More:
How the attack was planned
From The Hindu: Confirming that the engine of the dinghy was bought in Pakistan, Mr. Malik said the investigators had traced the shop and the owner from where a man he identified only as “one Khan” bought the engine. Khan also bought life-jackets and other sea-travel related items from this shop. The owner of the shop had a contact number that Khan had given him. The FIA found the number terminated, but the telephone number from which the termination request was made opened out the investigation further. More