On Headlines Today, Harinder Baweja speaks to an emotional Rajesh and Nupur Talwar a few hours after a special CBI court added a new twist to the Aarushi Talwar murder case by naming the teenager’s parents as accused. “I did everything they asked me to,” says a sobbing Rajesh Talwar. “We are parents who have lost our precious child. Why are they doing this to us?”
See that interview here.
The Talwars who were opposing the CBI’s closure report and seeking fresh investigation into the case will now appear as accused. The special court will remand the case to a sessions court for framing of charges and the subsequent trials of the Talwars in the two-year-old murder case.
The 13-year-old Aarushi Talwar was found dead with her throat slit in the bedroom of her Noida flat on May 16, 2008. After first declaring that the prime suspect in the murder was the family’s servant, Hemraj, Uttar Pradesh police quickly retracted when the body of Hemraj was found a day later, upstairs in the terrace of the same building. Probing an honour killing angle, Rajesh Talwar was arrested for the two murders. Lie detector and narco tests conducted on both parents have proved to be inconclusive and on December 29, 2010, the CBI filed a closure report in the twin murders, clearing the servants but pointing a finger of suspicion at the parents.
To make matters worse, on January 25, Rajesh Talwar was attacked by a deranged man with a cleaver in the Ghaziabad court premises.
With every new twist to the plot, justice for Aarushi seems to be getting more and more remote.
More details on this case here.
And read the CBI’s closure report here.
- May 16, 2008: Aarushi Talwar found murdered in her bedroom. Domestic help Hemraj, who was missing, suspected as the killer.
- May 17: Hemraj’s body found on the terrace of Talwars’ residential building.
- May 18: Police suspect “insider job” as the murders were done “with surgical precision”.
- May 19: Talwar’s former domestic help Vishnu Sharma named suspect.
- May 21: Delhi Police joins murder probe.
- May 22: Family comes under suspicion, as police probe honour killing angle. The police quiz Aarushi’s close friend.
- May 23: Aarushi’s father Rajesh Talwar arrested as a key accused.
- June 1: CBI takes over the probe in the case.
- June 13: Talwar’s domestic help Krishna arrested by CBI.
- June 20: Lie detection test of Rajesh Talwar conducted at Central Forensic Science Laboratory, Delhi.
- June 25: Second lie detection test conducted on Nupur Talwar. Her first lie detection test was found inconclusive.
- June 26: CBI declares it a “blind case”. Rajesh Talwar denied bail by a special Ghaziabad magistrate.
- July 3: Supreme Court rejects a PIL challenging the administration of narco-analysis test on the accused in the case.
- July 12: Rajesh Talwar freed on bail from Ghaziabad jail.
- January 5, 2010: CBI moves court to conduct narco test on Talwar couple.
- December 29: CBI submits closure report. Gives clean chit to servants, but points fingers at parents.
- January 25, 2011: Utsav Sharma, the alleged attacker of Ruchika Girhotra molester — former Haryana DGP S.P.S. Rathore — attacks Rajesh Talwar with a cleaver on Ghaziabad court premises.
- February 9: Court takes cognisance of CBI report and asks it to continue with prosecution charging Aarushi’s parents with murder and destruction of evidence.
Previously on AW: